Friday, 28 August 2015

Erecting a New Garden Shed - Housework/Funwork 61


If you missed the first post about our old wooden shed (which was quite some time ago) then head over to
Demolishing a Garden Shed 
first and if you don't want to read the whole post you can just watch the short time-lapse video.

Then last month ago I posted about the
Preparation for a New Garden Shed  
so you might like to click above and see the work involved there before we tackle the actual process of putting up our new shed.


We got rid of a wooden shed but we have now replaced it with a larger metal shed.

I am not going to say this project was easy, nor am I going to say it was FUNWORK because it wasn't but I am going to say that it was not me who had the hard work to do and we were all happy to see the job completed and also there was a great sense of satisfaction.


We bought a Yardmaster Shed and of course the first thing Fred did was to check up on any videos for tips on erecting one of these.

So to be completely honest about it all

The videos we found made it look easier than it really was!!

One guy seemed to be implying that he did it all himself except for when his wife helped him to lift up and carry over and place on the roof frame.
His shed was the size smaller than ours but after tackling this project we can say without a doubt that two people are needed for more than one part.

All the thanks is due to Fred & Daniel who did all the hard work.


The work was done over four days - not 4 full days due to Daniel having to work part of the time and because of breaks because of rain (we do live in Northern Ireland!).


Day One 

Fred was on his own except for when he asked me to check something with him.

First Stage  -  Organising Materials.

Unpacking of the three boxes, checking everything accounted for, laying out on paved area and patio table.


This kind of thing always takes longer than anyone would think.



Second Stage  -  Building Base Frame.

Reading instructions,  picking out correct pieces,  attaching the various lengths of the base frame together,  placing base frame on the concreted area.



The important thing here was to make sure that the electric and water connections were inside and not too close to any of the frame.


Happily Fred had measured and placed the connections carefully during the pouring of the cement base.



Third Stage  -  Building the Roof.

Reading instructions,  picking out correct pieces,  forming the front and back sections of the roof.



Reading instructions,  picking out correct pieces,  completing the roof framework.

I did have to go out and help here as it was easier for Fred to make the connections while I held parts together for him.




This was all that was completed on the first day.

The next stages would definitely need two good workers.



Day Two

Daniel came for the afternoon and evening to help his dad.


Fourth Stage  -  Frame Uprights.

Reading instructions,  picking out correct pieces,  joining the uprights to the base.



Because (at this stage) the base is not yet pinned down, the uprights can easily tilt and move the frame.  We live at the top of a hill so I had to frequently give a hand with steading the framework when the wind decided to blow through.

This part was rather tedious and time consuming.



Fifth Stage  -  Bottom Wall Panels.

Reading instructions,  checking for top and bottom of the panels,  slotting the panels between the uprights and screwing them in place.





Sixth Stage  -  Attaching Roof Frame.

Lifting and carrying over the roof frame, placing it on in exactly the right position and attaching it to the other framework.

Definitely a two-man job and glad they are both tall guys.




Seventh Stage  -  Side Panels.

Attaching the remaining side panels.

Easier and quicker paced here because they had got the hang of it earlier.




One man inside and one outside really helped here.



Day Three 

Daniel had to work so I had to help Fred but we didn't need any heavy work here.


Eighth Stage  -  Attaching Roof Panels.

Very repetitive job because there are quite a few panels to be placed and many, many screws and washers to be applied.



There are two clear panels to provide light into the shed.




Day Four 

Daniel was back to help for the final stages.


Ninth Stage  -  Attaching Sliding Doors.

Both Daniel and Fred had to work together to attach the sliding doors.






Tenth Stage  -  Securing Shed to Concrete Base.

Holes had to be drilled into the concrete at the corners and along the sides of the shed base frame.

Then the shed was bolted to the base.



Eleventh Stage  -  Filling the Shed.

All three of us then put all the things back into the shed from where we had been keeping them in the garage.

There was so much more room for them in the new shed and now there was more room in the garage again so a very happy result.

Fred made a short Time-lapse video this time again.






Linking up with  METAMORPHIS MONDAYS


7 comments:

  1. I love my garden shed. I call it my woman cave.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debbie that is a brilliant name for your shed.

      Delete
  2. Looks great! Such a big change from the old red shed you had before. Love it! Thanks for sharing at Inspiration Thursday! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hear, hear, for your new shed! Over the years, I've helped with putting up sheds. I'm a pro at holding up things as someone else hammers or screws them into place. The last time, our friend even let me screw in some of the bolts. That was kinda thrilling. :-)
    The View from the Top of the Ladder

    ReplyDelete
  4. The new shed looks great! Thanks for sharing how to do it with us at #AnythingGoes. Now you can add Erecting A Shed to your list of accomplishments!

    ReplyDelete